Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Welcome to Sequoiacast

On May 19, 20, and 21, 2010, I talked with three groups of students at Sequoia High School in Redwood City, California. These kids are AWESOME. During our time together we discussed Arizona's SB 1070 (the controversial new law dealing with proof of immigration status), as well as contemporary human trafficking and bondage. Their emotion and frustration were obvious as they tried to articulate why these issues are important and what they personally could do to intervene.

I hope I've done their words justice in producing the resulting podcast. Because these recordings were made in a classroom setting, the sound is somewhat gritty, but I think their voices come through quite clearly. I've edited the conversations for length and clarity; I'll post the first three episodes in the coming days.

I would like to thank teacher Stacy Schmidt Wenzel, along with her co-teachers Lailie Ibrahim and Agnes Zapata, who welcomed me into the classroom to work with these students, and all the staff at Sequoia who greeted me so warmly and supported this effort.

Emily Kathleen Cooke

1 comment:

  1. i do not agree with the proposition 1070 rebacause it treats people like if they are criminals,

    ReplyDelete